I was looking at a painting by Clyfford Still, a great abstract artist. The painting, I am unaware of the name, doesn't seem like much of a painting if you just take a quick glance. This painting was honestly unlike any other painting I had ever seen-- not because of its beauty, but because even though it seems simple, I inferred it to be the opposite. After awhile of looking at it, you start to appreciate the beauty of the painting itself and the message as well. This particular painting was mainly two colors, a yellow and black on a white canvas. I believe that this painting is a symbol. Even though it sounds cheesy, I think that it was a symbol of life. Of course there are many ways to interpret this painting, as well as any other, but this message was what I inferred.
I believe that the painting I looked at by Clyfford Still represents life. I don't think it represented only his life, but just about everyone's life. Since the yellow and the black in this painting are kind of splattered onto another, I inferred that the yellow might represent the great and easy things in life, while the black represents the not-so-great and difficult things in life. I think this because the "good stuff" in one's life usually gets mixed up with the "bad stuff." Everyone has at least a little of both. In this painting, though, I observed that there is a little bit more black than yellow. From this observation, I inferred that Clyfford Still might have a little bit more of the "bad stuff" in his life. Even though I noticed that, I also noticed something else. It looks like the yellow was splattered on before the black. From this observation, I inferred that Clyfford Still was trying to say that even though life is hard, the good things will come and be more important than the bad things.
In conclusion, the abstract painting by Clyfford Still gave me a lot to think about. My inference about the painting representing life was supported by many details in the painting, but it still may not be what the artist was thinking of when he painted it. There are many ways to conclude about this painting because of the complexity. This painting reminded me of a poem that I read called "Bilingual in a Cardboard Box" by Javier Pina. I say this because in that poem, the first line of every stanza is in Spanish. If one didn't take the time to translate the Spanish to English, they might leave the poem alone and not realize the depth. In both of these pieces of art, there is a message that you have to look for, and I found it.
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=clyfford+still&um=1&hl=en&client=safari&sa=N&rls=en&biw=1285&bih=600&tbm=isch&tbnid=uHVG4JAQU-E8ZM:&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clyfford_Still&docid=UaiomDv33qAdZM&imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f6/Still_1957_D1.jpg/300px-Still_1957_D1.jpg&w=300&h=214&ei=Ci0fT7nsEqaN0QGeiOAG&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=527&sig=106282956807718908227&page=1&tbnh=105&tbnw=140&start=0&ndsp=25&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0&tx=35&ty=88
Wow, your writing was very thoughtful. I agree that the artist had a purpose for making it to colors but I disagree on the reason why. I think that he or she made it like that to symbolize separation and inequality. You wrote a lot and did an amazing job! Two thumbs up!
ReplyDeleteHi Izzy! I absolutely /loved/ the way you turned a splash of black and yellow into a detailed, intricate response about life and the light and the dark. I also loved the way you compared it to Javier Pina's "Billingual in a Cardboard Box". Seriously, though. How did you get all that beautiful symbolism from dripping black and gold? (In a good way!)
ReplyDelete