I just started reading Glass by Ellen Hopkins two days ago, and I'm captured. I'm interested in the storyline and the plot, but I am also interested in figuring out the main character Kristina (or Bree, her other identity). While Bree is out there and adventurous, Kristina is inverted, and she doesn't take risks. I am on page 81 of Glass, and I am just beginning to understand the complex character of Kristina/Bree.
Kristina/Bree had been Kristina for many years. She had been Kristina since she was born. I understand that being Kristina was boring, but I don't understand why it was that specific time that she became Bree. More than that, I don't and do (it is that complicated) comprehend why she can't stick to one identity. When Kristina/Bree is with her father or alone, she is Bree. Why isn't she Bree in front of her parents? I think that the Kristina inside of her wants to come poking out.
My theory about this is that the Kristina poking out of the Bree is making her scared to be Bree in front of her parents. She wants to think that her family is nothing, and she can do whatever she wants, but when she comes face to face with them, it is impossible to fully be Bree. As this book continues, maybe I will uncover exactly what is going through Kristina/Bree's mind. She is one of the more interesting characters I have read about in my history.
Hii Izzy! I loved the way you took a complex, multi-faceted issue and helped to explain why it confused you, but also why you understood it. You also seemed to understand, and grasp, the issue of Kristina vs. Bree very nicely.
ReplyDeleteI agree, Kristina was very confusing but the book was amazing, i couldn't put it down. I love how you shared your opinion and questioned the book. -Talyah Cruz 806
ReplyDeleteThis was really good and based around your idea. I actually disagree with your idea about Kristina/Bree. I think that there isn't much to think about. The family she lived with was so boring and studious and ad plans for her. Her dad, on the other hand, was sooo...FREE! He had no expectations for her, which made her feel like Bree.
ReplyDeleteIsabel, this was a great response! You had a good amount of text evidence to back up your answers! You also had a great use of vocabulary, such as "inverted." I love that!
ReplyDeleteI've never read this book, and now I'm interested in reading it. It sounds complicated but fascinating. You present an identity issue that the character must deal with, which most people, especially teens, struggle with often. Great job!
Great post! I can really see the depth behind reading reflecting in the writing. This post really shows a maturity in reading and writing, which usually don't go hand-in-hand. Fab!
ReplyDelete