I watched the 1996 version of Romeo and Juliet directed by Baz Luhrmann. Sound played a role throughout the entire movie. During the movie, there were many stressed sounds such as thunder. Another observation was that sound reflects the mood. A modern version of Romeo and Juliet was incredibly interesting and honestly, at times, confusing. Truthfully, though, Luhrmann had great director instincts such as the volume and type of song played. While watching this movie, I was confused because I didn't understand the language as well as I could have. Although it is a modern version of the great play, the language remained as old as usual. Even though all of this was true, the sound honestly gave me a better idea of what was going on.
Sound played a huge role in the modern movie of Romeo and Juliet, a play written by William Shakespeare. As well as music, stressed and unstressed sound played a major role. For example, near the end, when Romeo is running away so that he can drink the poison, thunder is louder than anything. Also, the thunder wasn't every once and awhile. It was just about every other five seconds-- no exaggeration. I also noticed that there was thunder after he murdered Tybalt. I'm not sure if the fact that thunder occurred more than once in this movie means anything. I am sure that the volume and repetition meant something. When there was thunder, it was loud and clear. It repeated itself over and over again. One inference I made was that his ideas and actions reflected the harshness of the sound. Killing someone is a terrible deed, and the repetition and volume of the thunder seemed to be scolding him. Also, killing oneself is also not the greatest. I think that, that was also the reason for the sound.
The director of this movie seemed to care about the mood of the scene. The mood of the scene tended to match with the song that was being played. For example, when it was the party scene in the beginning, the song was upbeat and techno. This next example might be obvious, but when they were in church, they showed the gospel singers singing gospel. I felt like I was at a party during the party scene and at church during the church scene. This is all because of the mood, rhythm, and volume of the sound. Sound played a huge role in Romeo and Juliet directed by Baz Luhrmann.
I also took note of sound, and I think you did a really great job of interpreting what it stood for. Also, love you thought exactly why he would have put specific sound effects in. I just focused on music, but I found it really interesting how you talked about thunder! So good!
ReplyDeleteAlthough i did color and light i did find quite a few sounds through out the movie. I agree that sound played a huge influence in the movie for example, sounds such as thunder. Thunder comes up a lot.
ReplyDeleteAs Arianna said, I think it's really great that you not just focused on music, but also just how Baz L. incorporated sound in it as well. You had great information and text examples.
ReplyDelete