Monday, October 17, 2011

Identical by Ellen Hopkins Response

        I am reading Identical by Ellen Hopkins. It is such a captivating book. One of the first things I noticed is that points of view are changed from Kaleigh to Raeanne. They are identical twins, but their personalities are completely different. When the perspective changes, their pages are right next to each other. Since this book is in verse, the format changes. At the end of every couple of sentences is a word pushed all the way to the other page. When all of those words are read, they form something that resembles a sentence. On Kaleigh's and Raeanne's pages, those words are identical.

        I found this interesting. I wanted to look into it more, and as I read, I did. What I have inferred is that the reason that the format is like that because even though their personalities are almost opposite, there are things that they share, which does make them more alike. Also, maybe they are more alike than they seem. As I keep reading, I find that their problems and issues are incredibly alike.

         Even though Kaleigh seems like an innocent little girl, she really isn't. She has an addiction to throwing up (binging) and cutting herself. She enjoys the pain. That is what she shares with her sister. Raeanne is addicted to drugs and sex. Honestly, I feel that they do these things because of all of the pressure they are under. Their father is a judge, and their mother is running for the House of Representatives.

           Ellen Hopkins is a very creative writer, and I love that she incorporates style of the writing into her writing to make it even better. That is one of the reasons why I read her books.

No comments:

Post a Comment